News News Become a supplier Become a supplier Trade application Trade application

Commercial Skip Hire – how to select the right skip for the job

Planning a job and need to hire a skip? The good news is that there’s a huge range of commercial skip types and sizes to choose from. The trick is getting the right sized commercial skip for the job you’re tackling and suitable for the type of waste you’re disposing of. With more than a dozen different commercial skip types, from traditional mini skips to lockable or enclosed skips, at Nationwide Hire (WowNow Hire was formerly known as Nationwide Hire), we’re here to make selecting the right skip as easy as pie.

Size matters

Skip capacity is usually measured in cubic yards. A commonly used measure is also black bin bags. For example, small 2-3 cubic yard skips could take 25-30 bin bags whereas a 18-20 cubic yard skip could hold up to 180 bin bags.

  • Maxi, bulk and jumbo commercial skips are the largest and up to 18-20 cubic yards in capacity. These are ideal for big, bulky and lightweight waste such as waste timber, cardboard, or ripped out materials. Widely used on commercial or industrial fit out projects or on sites where there’s lots of waste.
  • Builder’s skips are familiar landmarks on construction sites. Typically, 6-8 cubic yard capacity they can hold a sizeable amount of waste. They’re popular for their versatility; able to take a mixture of light, heavy, bulky or compact waste without the need to segregate.
  • Midi skips are mid-sized for the medium-sized job and available in 4-5 cubic yard capacities, will easily fit on private driveways and in small yards, so don’t require a skip permit.
  • Mini skips are the smallest, a popular choice for both commercial and industrial customers and ideal when only a small amount of waste will be created. They are available in 2-3 cubic yard capacities.

To help you decide what size skip you need, start by checking out our sizing table here.

Skip Licence – do I need one?

You don’t need a skip licence if you’re putting a skip on private land. If a skip’s sited on a public road or pavement, a skip licence or permit is required from the local council. We can help with that. The council may have local rules and requirements for safety lights at night or for the use of reflective markings and traffic cones. Make sure you avoid fines by checking these with us in advance.

If you’re looking to hire a skip, call our Nationwide Hire team to help you decide what you need. If you have hazardous waste or waste that needs to be disposed of for environmental reasons, we can also help. We keep businesses moving by taking responsibility for solving and avoiding plant, equipment and services problems. With a supplier network operating from over 9000 UK locations accessing millions of products, we’re on hand to keep your business moving. Construction, Shopfitting, Retail, Events – in any emergency, whatever the challenge, we get it sorted.